How to talk and write about a sequence (Abfolge) of events (Ereignisse) in the past
- Some years ago J.K.Rowling wrote the first Harry Potter book.
- Many people read it and really enjoyed it.
- On Sunday my brother watched the film of the second book.
→ Underline the verb forms
→ We use the _____________________ to talk and write about events that are over/in the past
→ There are often signal words like some years ago,______________________
- After my brother had watched the Harry Potter film he wanted to read the book, too.
- When he had finished the book, he asked his aunt to lend him the third Harry Potter book.
- But he had already had his birthday present, so my aunt said “no”.
- After my brother had heard this and after he had come he decided to save his pocket money.
- And when he had saved enough he bought his own Harry Potter complete collection.
→ Underline the verb forms (like in the first example)
→ What is the form for regular verbs (like watch): _______ and ___________
→ What is the form for irregular verbs (like come): _______ and ___________
→ This form is called past perfect
→ What happens first in the first sentence: had watched the film or wanted to read the book?
→ We use the past perfect to describe something that happened _______ another action in the past.
Past perfect: Herunterladen [docx][19 KB]
Weiter zu Relative clauses