How to interview somebody
Barack Obama on race in the US (GL OS: 28)
What to do ...
Step 1: Read the text.
Step 2: Task: You are a journalist who is to interview Obama on race. Write down questions and possible answers.
Step 4: Read what you have written. Make improvements (spelling, choice of words, order ...) with the help of the phrases given below. Check with the help of your feedback sheet.
Step 5: Maybe you write your text again. File it in the “how to” part of your portfolio.
Having an interview – useful phrases
Asking for confirmation
- So are you saying …?
- Do you mean…?
- So in other words you think…?
Challenging the interviewee
- Yes, but wouldn’t you say that…?
- But don’t you think that…?
- But surely….
Asking a summarizing question
- Just to sum up, then: do you think…?
- So altogether, would you …say?
Finishing the interview
- Thank you very much for speaking to me/giving me your time.
- It’s been great/very interesting to talk to you.
How to interview somebody: Herunterladen [doc] [30 KB]